Top Artificial Intelligence experts Clemens Wasner and Marcel Wasserer from EnliteAI GmbH and myself put together the whole bunch of Austrian blockchain startups, companies, initiative and organisations.
EnliteAI is currently developing an AI-powered market intelligence platform with the vision to automatically map innovation ecosystems, across industry verticals and countries.
On top of Austria being a country of music, she has some promising excellent startups, excellent blockchain experts and true crypto enthusiasts to offer.
Would you like your company or institution to be included in future updates?
Simply send an email to email@example.com
- Number of ICOs and total volume in 2017 was comparatively small, in 2018 we expect more activity, especially from established players
- We see strong interest from utilities and public institutions to adopt blockchain
- Austrian Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy initiated Blockchain Austria initiative and financially supports the institute for Cryptoeconomics at Vienna University of Economics and Business
- City of Vienna is very active in supporting blockchain solutions, community and research, in particular the Open Government Data Initiative (OGD) on blockchain.
- So far no clear frontrunner among startups has emerged, as many prominent Blockchainers, such as TenX or Grid Singularity, set-up operations outside Austria
- Fortunately there are very active people managing several accelerators and incubators across the country
- We expect 2018 to become a break-out year for the technology, with many more local initiatives and projects being unveiled to the public
Accelerators & Incubators
A healthy blockchain eco-system not only requires developers, finance experts and researchers but also mentoring and finance from seasoned entrepreneurs. Fortunately, there are accelerators and incubators across the country, often linked with co-working spaces and local organizations.
Blockchain Consulting & Development
Companies in this category cover a wide range of services – from developing blockchain-based solutions up to business modelling and ICO support.
Austrian utilities were fast to implement Etherium-based smart contracts, often in cooperation with local universities or research facilities. Given the current momentum it’s just a matter of time until we will see the first fully operational energy blockchains.
Exchange, Trading, Investing
This category focuses on exchange of crypto currencies, Crypto teller machines, trading and investing in blockchain projects and ICOs.
Gaming company Herosphere was the first Austrian ICO ever – raising 2 Million EURO with Herocoin. Starting from April 2018 the first implementations of Herocoin should be available to the public.
Legal & Tax
Due to the high activity in the Blockchain space many law firms have experience in setting up and supporting ICOs.
Companies in this category offer either mining hardware or mine for cryptocurrencies.
Organisations & Communities
Austria has a very large Blockchain community with more than 10.000 Blockchainers – with local organizations in each province.
Activities from public players is strong in Austria, both in form of initiatives, as well as in pilot projects like open government data.
Extra-university research facilities are small in number but contribute substantially to Blockchain related science and applied research.
Universities & Educational Institutions
Austrian universities conduct Blockchain both economic and technical research. At the end of 2017 Vienna’s University of Economics and Business launched the Institute of Cryptoeconomics, which will focus on new business models. In addition a number of private institutions offers education and trainings, covering blockchain basics up to investments, development and business case modelling.
Disclaimer: We are not involved with any of the companies and organisations listed in this landscape.