January 2020 release v3.0
This updated version v3.0 includes 11 new organisations, with a total of 145. Newly added companies & institutions are marked with “v3.0” for easier identification in the text below the infographic.
For the first release in 2020 we added research projects and major events in Austria. Find the full Ecosystem map under Enlite Webpage.
Would you like your company to be included? Simply send us an email to robert(@)schwertner.com – we’re happy to keep track of your request.
The blockchain landscape includes startups, accelerators and universities – as well as a large number of public institutions, initiatives, events and communities. We take this strong backing as a promising sign that the Austrian Blockchain landscape goes well beyond adopting new technology, but is also discussed in a wider societal context.
This updated version v3.0 of January 2020 includes
more than 30 research projects and events.
- TPA tax consultants are proactively examining blockchain use cases in various fields, e.g. taxation, real estate and also publish papers on legal matters, e.g. a recent paper on Security Token Offering
- Kurant GmbH offers Bitcoin ATM-machines. New ATMs are available at Österreichische Post AG in Salzburg, Bregenz, Villach and Innsbruck
- Kassandro of it-park GmbH is a cash register which recently offers payment services for Bitcoin
- Coinpanion provides professional assistance for cryptocurrency trading using a robo-advisor
- Sproof developed a blockchain-based document verification system
- d-fine is a software which enables pioneering companies across industries to design, build and ship blockchain-based solutions
- Tributech enables companies to secure and share data across organizations in a selective and tamper-proof way
- Smart Digital GmbH combines new drone management systems and blockchain technology. In particular location data are securely written on blockchain
- DAAA has recently been founded to support and sustainably develop an ecosystem for digital assets in Austria
- The Josef Ressel Center for Blockchain-Technologies is a research institute at the University of Applied Sciences St.Pölten. Its focus is research on blockchain and distributed ledger technology
Key Findings of 2019, Outlook on 2020
- We see several Security Token offerings being prepared behind the scenes which will be launched later in 2020.
- With Facebook introducing the Libra cryptocurrency we expect that blockchain technology will receive more attention by large companies especially from banking, insurance and related financial services industry
- Several startups ended their activities, but others are starting business
- Big players, larger law and consultancy firms are entering the scene.
You’re welcome to reuse the infographic below as long as the content remains unmodified, in full and proper reference to the source is mentioned.
Would you like your company or institution to be included in future updates? Mail to robert(@)schwertner.com
Research Projects NEW!
Research Projects – ENERGY
- Digital4Energy – Digital Technologies for Energy Systems
- ProChain – Prosumer- und user integration in the energy grid with blockchain
- Blockchain Grid explores how producers of energy can be coordinated, and how blockchain technology could be used to integrate prosumers
- R2EC – Regional Renewable Energy Cells
- SonnWende+ – Efficient solutions for photovoltaic energy management based on blockchain technology
- HotCity – Gamification als as an option for generating data for city planning
- P2PQ – Peer2Peer in the district
- GameOpSys – Gamification for optimising the energy consumption of buildings
- BEYOND – Blockchain based Electricity trading for the integration Of National and Decentralized local markets
- BIMCHAIN – Automated payment and contract management for construction industry with blockchain technology and BIM 5D
- DigitalEnergy4All – DigitalEnergy4All with Digital Citizen Energy Communities
Research Projects – MOBILITY
- Cycle4Value – Development of a blockchain-based reward system for fostering bicycle traffic
- PLOGchain – Blockchain technologies for transport – use cases and research potentials
- ShareMob – Innovative E-carsharing-concept as a tool for improving mobility in Vienna
Research Projects – INDUSTRY
- Block-Tool-Data – Exploratory Project for a Blockchain-based Tool Data Marketplace
- DMA – Data Market Austria
- Easy Contracts – Blockchain-Applications for Organisations
- GDP4PI – Generic data integration platform for the physical internet
- NutriSafe – Securing of Food Production and Logistics with Distributed Ledger Technology
- QM auf Blockchain – Blockchain basiertes Quality Management
- SEMCON – Semantic Containers for Data Mobility
- Smart-Toolbox – Smart-Toolbox for Community-Blockchains
- Instigo – Instigo – The World’s first Autonomous Growth Hacker
Research Projects – FINTECH
- BiKrCuMa – BitPanda Crypto Currency Market V2.0
- CI MPP – Crowdinvesting Market Place Plattform
- difacturo – Invoicing on Blockchain
Clusters and Research Centers
- ABC – Austrian Blockchain Center
- DiMaHub – Digital Innovation Hub„Digital Makers Hub
- SBA Research
- Josef Ressel Zentrum für Blockchain
Blockchain Companies & Startups
This section contains applications in the energy sector and companies developing closed blockchain systems with for a specific application like ticketing, security, e-commerce, taxation or invoicing.
- Difacturo GmbH
- Wien Energie AG
- Salzburg AG
- Verbund AG
- Post AG v1.2
- Realest8 Technologies v2.0
- Lenzing AG v2.1
- Erste Group v2.1
In this section consulting agencies which focus on blockchain related advice are listed.
- Ernst & Young
- Catalysts v1.1
- Danube Tech v1.1
- Accenture v1.1
- Synercon v1.1
- Arthur D Little v1.2
- Digital Sunray v1.2
- Cryptorobby v2.0
- Seekyou v2.0
- Digitalblocks v2.0
- Die Crypto Berater v2.1
- Inisticore 2.1
- Die Crypto Berater v2.1
Companies in this category offer either mining hardware or mine for cryptocurrencies.
Development & Software
This box contains important software developers with experience in smart contract programming related coding.
- Blockserv v1.1
- Capacity v1.1
- baumann.at – concepts & solutions v1.1
- Crypto Consulting v1.1
- OS Alliance v1.1
- Salamantex v1.2
- Iteratec v2.0
- SAP v2.0
- iov42 v2.0
- 0bsnetwork v2.0
- 4YU Blockchain Tech v2.1
- Chainlock v2.1
- Block42 v2.1
Exchange, Trading, Investing
This category focuses on exchange of crypto currencies, Crypto teller machines, trading and investing in blockchain projects and ICOs.
- The House of Nakamoto
- Coinfinity GmbH
- Crypto Management GmbH
- Coinnecting v1.1
- MCV v1.2
- Multis Group GmbH e-bitstore v1.2
- iQ Cash v2.1
- Trever v2.1
- Scytale Ventures v2.1
- Blackmanta Capital v2.1
- AutoWhale v2.1
- Cobra v2.1
- Apollon Network v2.1
- Kassandro v3.0 NEW!
- Coinpanion v3.0 NEW!
Legal & Tax
Due to the high activity in the Blockchain space many law firms have experience in setting up and supporting ICOs.
- Stadler Völkel Rechtsanwälte
- Enzinger Steuerberatung
- Blockpit v1.1
- Brandl & Talos Rechtsanwälte GmbH v1.1
- CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH v1.1
- Herbst Kinsky v1.1
- Heller Consult v1.1
- Jarolim Partner Rechtsanwälte v1.2
- DLA Piper Weiss-Tessbach Rechtsanwälte GmbH v1.2
- Kunz Wallentin Rechtsanwälte GmbH v2.0
- Binder Grösswang v2.1
- Wolf Theiss v2.1
- Lansky, Ganzger + Partner v2.1
- Wieneroiter Raffling Tenschert & Partner v2.1
- tpa group v3.0 NEW!
- Dorda Attorneys at Law v3.0 NEW!
This section contains applications startups which offer coins, and companies developing closed blockchain systems with for a specific application like ticketing, security, e-commerce, taxation or invoicing.
- Artis v1.2
- Finnoq v1.2
- Pantos v1.2
- H3O v1.2
- AVINOC v1.2
- Grapevine v2.0
- Experio v2.0
- Jaroona v2.1
- eLoop v2.1
- Helpar.global v2.1
- Cryptix v2.1!
- Linx4 v2.1!
- Gridsingularity v2.1!
- element36 v2.1 NEW
- youniqx Identity AG v2.1!
- Minerva v2.1!
- sproof v3.0 NEW!
- smart digital v3.0 NEW!
Universities & Educational Institutions
Austrian universities conduct blockchain both economical and technical research. At the end of 2017 Vienna’s University of Economics and Business launched the Institute of Cryptoeconomics, which will focus on new business models. In addition a number of private institutions offers education and trainings, covering blockchain basics up to investments, development and business case modelling.
- University of Vienna
- TU Wien
- Danube University Vienna
- Salzburg University of Applied Sciences
- Vienna University of Economics and Business
- University of Innsbruck
- St. Pölten University of Applied Sciences
- Anita Posch
- FinTech Academy
- Modul University Vienna v1.1
- University of Graz v1.1
- Austrian Academy of Sciences v1.1
- Eigenheads Academy v2.0
- Crypto Skills Academy v2.0
- Bitfantastic v2.0
- FH Technikum Wien Academy v2.1!
Extra-university research facilities are small in number but contribute substantially to blockchain related science and applied research.
- SBA Research
- ABC – Austrian Blockchain Center v1.1
- Josef Ressel Zentrum für Blockchain v3.0 NEW!
OrganiSations & Communities
Austria has a very large blockchain community with more than 10.000 blockchainers – with local organisations in each province.
- Bitcoin Austria
- Smart Blockchain
- City of Blockchain
- BlockchainHub Wien
- IoT Austria – Blockchain
- Blockchain Austria v2.0
- Digitalcity Wien v2.0
- Austrian Standards v2.0
- DAAA v3.0 NEW!
Activities from public players is strong in Austria, both in form of initiatives, as well as in pilot projects like open government data.
Four publishing enterprises have been added, they are very active in the crypto sphere and provide specific news and content related to cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology.
- derBrutkasten v1.1
- Trending Topics v1.1
- Futurezone v1.1
- Addendum v1.1
- Decentralbox v1.2
- DerStandard v2.0
- DiePresse.com v2.1
Accelerators & Incubators
A healthy blockchain eco-system not only requires developers, finance experts and researchers, but also mentoring and finance from seasoned entrepreneurs. Fortunately, there are accelerators and incubators across the country, often linked with co-working spaces and local organisations.
Germany: Forschungszulage: www.forschungszulage.de
Austria: Forschungsprämie www.forschungspraemie.tax